Turmeric is very easy and simple to grow indoors. All you need is a partial sunlight and a pot. Give the plant what it likes and trust me it will reward you! Here are some helpful tips:
1. How to Choose Your Turmeric Rhizomes
Turmeric does not produce seeds, so planting the rhizome is the best way. Always opt for rhizomes with many buds along the sides.
2. The Perfect Pot Size for Your Turmeric Plant
Turmeric root grows in every direction from its mother. So, you will need a 12 inches wide and 12 inches deep pot.
3. Type of Soil for Growing Your Turmeric
Use a light and loamy soil rich in organic matters.
4. How to Grow Your Turmeric Rhizome in a Pot
• First of all, you should break the finger rhizomes off its mother, but make sure each piece is with at least 2-3 buds. Then, fill your pot with the rich soil and bury the pieces of rhizomes two inches below the soil surface, but make sure the buds are facing up.
• This plant thrives in warm, humid conditions. It thrives in a climate of between 20oC to 30oC.
• You should keep the soil moist. Water it lightly or use a spray bottle to mist it.
5. When to Harvest Your Turmeric
• This plant takes 6-8 months from planting to harvest. Once the leaves begin to dry out and the plant begins to turn yellow, you will know you can dig up your turmeric.